[gmx-users] Re: genbox Not enough memory

Juliette N. joojoojooon at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 00:19:29 CEST 2012

Hi,

I will try to compress before doing genbox. As for the number of atoms, as
I said I *dont *intend to fill up the whole box with solvent. So I put
around 4000 solvent molecules to get the desired polymer Wt%, hence there
would be a lot of free space for a total of 120 000 atoms approx..Also I
tried - cs solvent.gro but it stucks and doest work.

Thanks for the comments,
J.

On 10 October 2012 17:16, Dr. Vitaly Chaban <vvchaban at gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way, if you place your solvent molecule (-cs ____.gro) into a
> very large box, such as 10x10x10nm, genbox may perform well. I did NOT
> try, just an idea.
>
> For the overall system setup, I would rather follow the previous
> comments anyway.
>

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:49 PM, Dr. Vitaly Chaban <vvchaban at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM, Juliette N. <joojoojooon at gmail.com>
wrote:
>>> Hi again,
>>>
>>> The reason I have this big box is that I have fully extended chains of
>>> the length of ~ 250 nm,. In fact this 250 nm is the minimum size that
>>> I can fit the chain in the box; and I am going to fill this box with
>>> solvent and use NPT to increase the density. So I dont need to fill up
>>> the box with solvent entirely. The total number of atoms would be
>>> around 120 000.
>>

>> Sorry, I do not believe you. 120 000 atoms cannot ever fill the volume
>> of 250*250*250 nm^3.
>>

>>> I have access to a certain number of nodes. I am wondering if this
>>> "adding of memory" is merely a hardware issue or there is some other
>>> ways to get around this.?
>>
>> This "adding memory" is the appetit of the genbox in its current
>> incarnation. I am sure that the developers did not expect to apply
>> this utility for the systems larger than 30x30x30 nm. You can always
>> construct a very simple script that puts your solvent evenly
>> throughout the box.
>>
>> Why not to gently compress the box WITHOUT solvent..... Unless you
>> want to observe real-time folding of the polymer. It is probably not
>> so good idea to start with a huge box and super low density.
>>

>> Dr. Vitaly V. Chaban
>> MEMPHYS - Center for Biomembrane Physics
>> Department of Physics, Chemistry and Pharmacy
>> University of Southern Denmark
>> Campusvej 55, 5230 Odense M, Denmark
>>

>>> Thank you for your comments,

large-memory nodes. Can you use one of those?

Gromacs defines length in units of nm.

I get:

GROMACS

--