[gmx-users] Lennard-Jones Parameters

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Oct 12 15:14:58 CEST 2012

On 10/12/12 8:04 AM, cuong nguyen wrote:
>   Dear Gromacs Users,
>
> I got the .gro and .top files of 1-octanol downloaded from PRODRG website.
> Please let me know if I can change charge, epsilon and sigma of the
> molecule as written in a paper? and How to do?

Atom types from PRODRG rarely, if ever, need changing.  Charges can be taken
first by chemical homology (group-based approach that makes Gromos force fields
convenient) and then by calculating the charges yourself.  For 1-octanol, it
should be very straightforward to obtain parameters, zero charges on all the C
atoms except for the one in the alocohol, then standard alcohol charges for the
C-O-H.  Whether or not those parameters are sufficiently accurate is up to you
to decide, but that's the approach one would take with this particular force field.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080