[gmx-users] Problem with equilibrated lipid bilayer structure

Jernej Zidar jernej.zidar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 07:48:47 CEST 2012

Hi.
  I used CHARMM to prepare a cholesterol/POPC lipid bilayer. I
equilibrated it in CHARMM and the imported the resulting PDB to
GROMACS. In CHARMM I was the TIP3P water model, so before importing
the PDB I changed the atom types from the TIP3P's ones to SPCE ones.
Then I used this command to import  the PDB:
pdb2gmx -f lipid-wat.pdb -o bilayer.gro -p bilayer.top -i
bilayer-posres.itp -ff charmm36cgenff -water spce -noter -v -renum

  After the import I center the system in the unit cell with: editconf
-f bilayer.gro -o bilayer.gro -c

  Problem 1: The system size (unit cell) is not properly
computed/detected. The following numbers are for the same structure
after the CHARMM equilibration.
                   CHARMM reports the size as: 10.45820  x 10.45825  x
6.864382 (in nm; converted from Angstroms)
                   GROMACS states the size is: 12.30940  x 11.81980  x
7.138100 (in nm)

  Problem 2: While I'm able to run MD in CHARMM if I start from the
equilibrated structure, I am unable to do so in GROMACS. As the system
apparently blows up with the cryptic message:
Program mdrun, VERSION 4.5.5
Source code file: /build/buildd/gromacs-4.5.5/src/mdlib/pme.c, line: 538

Fatal error:
5 particles communicated to PME node 0 are more than 2/3 times the
cut-off out of the domain decomposition cell of their charge group in
dimension y.
This usually means that your system is not well equilibrated.

  I can minimize the system, but any attempt to run MD results in the
aforementioned message. Here's the MDP file I would like to use:
;define		= -DPOSRES	; position restrain the protein
; Run parameters
integrator	= md		; leap-frog integrator
nsteps		= 500000	; 2 * 500000 = 1000 ps (1 ns)
dt		    = 0.002		; 2 fs
; Output control
nstxout		= 100		; save coordinates every 0.2 ps
nstvout		= 100		; save velocities every 0.2 ps
nstenergy	= 100		; save energies every 0.2 ps
nstlog		= 100		; update log file every 0.2 ps
; Bond parameters
continuation	= no		    ; Restarting after NVT
constraint_algorithm = lincs	; holonomic constraints
constraints	= all-bonds	        ; all bonds (even heavy atom-H bonds)
constrained
lincs_iter	= 1		            ; accuracy of LINCS
lincs_order	= 4		            ; also related to accuracy
; Neighborsearching
ns_type		= grid		; search neighboring grid cels
nstlist		= 5		    ; 10 fs
rlist		= 1.2		; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
rcoulomb	= 1.2		; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
rvdw		= 1.2		; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
; Electrostatics
coulombtype	= PME		; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range electrostatics
pme_order	= 4		    ; cubic interpolation
fourierspacing	= 0.16		; grid spacing for FFT
; Temperature coupling is on
tcoupl		= Nose-Hoover		    ; More accurate thermostat
tc-grps		= LIPID SOL		; three coupling groups - more accurate
tau_t		= 0.5	0.5	        ; time constant, in ps
ref_t		= 300 	300	        ; reference temperature, one for each group, in K
; Pressure coupling is on
pcoupl		= Parrinello-Rahman	    ; Pressure coupling on in NPT
pcoupltype	= isotropic		    ; uniform scaling of x-y box vectors, independent z
tau_p		= 5.0			        ; time constant, in ps
ref_p		= 1.0			        ; reference pressure, x-y, z (in bar)
compressibility = 4.5e-5		; isothermal compressibility, bar^-1
; Periodic boundary conditions
pbc		    = xyz		; 3-D PBC
; Dispersion correction
DispCorr	= EnerPres	; account for cut-off vdW scheme
; Velocity generation
gen_vel		= no		; Velocity generation is off
; COM motion removal
; These options remove motion of the protein/bilayer relative to the
solvent/ions
nstcomm         = 1
comm-mode       = Linear
comm-grps       = LIPID SOL
refcoord_scaling = all
- - - -

  I imagine I'm doing something wrong but I'm unable to be able to
pinpoint the error. I have also tried the NPT-simulated annealing path
suggested in the GROMACS' protein-membrane tutorial but to no avail.
I'm using the GROMACS version of the CHARMM36 lipid forcefield.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Jernej Zidar