[gmx-users] Dipole moment

Javier Cerezo jcb1 at um.es
Fri Oct 19 09:17:13 CEST 2012

When calculated during the md run, the corresponding options in g_energy
for the dipole moment are MU-X, MU-Y and MU-Z.

However, taking into account the previous mail by David van der Spoel,
it's possible that the dipole moment could not be calculated in your
system. Options in g_energy vary depending on the actual computation.

If you want to calculate the dipole moment by your own, I think it's
easier to use the xtc file exported every 3fs (it'll be considerably
heavier than the edr file, however) and writing an specific code for
your purposes. In order to read the trajectories, you can use the xtc
library
(http://www.gromacs.org/Developer_Zone/Programming_Guide/XTC_Library).
Anyway, if the code didn't compute it, there should be a reason.

Javier