[gmx-users] Fluctuations in NVT and NPT resulting plots

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Oct 21 12:42:43 CEST 2012

On 10/21/12 6:32 AM, Shima Arasteh wrote:
> I got the plot for volume in the same way as I got plot for temperature in NVT. In this step, I just chose the volume instead of temperature after entering # g_energy -f nvt.edr.

An .edr file produced from an NVT run does not store volume, box, or density
information.  Since all of these quantities (which are interdependent) are
fixed, this is done for efficiency reasons.  If you have these terms present in
your .edr file, then the run you did was not NVT.

> I expected to see a flat line for this. Isn't it expectable?

Theoretically, yes.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080