[gmx-users] Conceptual question about the representation of dihedral angles in Gromacs

Arman Mahboubi Soufiani armansoufiani at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 16:05:36 CEST 2012

Dear Andrew,

I am a beginner! However, I would like to record my interpretation of the
concept you're confused about and evaluate it by what experts will comment
later.
I am pretty sure your first calculation of 2,7 kcal/mol is correct,
however, since ethane is symmetrical molecule you don't need to perform the
second calculation so as to take into account all the dihedral
interactions. I am not sure how far are you familiar with quantum mechanics
and the orbital theory of two and above electron atoms! Actually, as you
cannot distinguish between electrons there, in the case of ethane you
cannot distinguish between the hydrogen atoms and thus, every time, any Hx
meets any of Hy s makes no difference in calculation of your barrier height
and are all the same.

I hope I could transfer my knowledge to you.
Lets see what others will come up with.

Cheers