[gmx-users] g_rms problem

Albert mailmd2011 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 17:19:01 CET 2012

hello Chris:

thanks a lot for kind reply.
The outout for

for i in $(ls *pdb); do grep ^ATOM $i|wc -l; done |sort -n |head

is:
1838
1838
1838
1838
1838
1838

The output for

for i in $(ls *pdb); do grep ^ATOM $i|wc -l; done |sort -n |tail

is also:
1838
1838
1838
1838
1838
1838

It seems that trjcat works fine, although the time is 0 for all frames.
Here is the command I use:

trjcat -cat -keeplast -f *.pdb -o out.xtc

g_rms -f out.xtc -s 001.pdb -o rmsd.xvg

However, I find a problem with the results. Since most part of each PDB
file overlapped very well only a small loop is different. I first
calculate the rmsd of backbone and got:

@ subtitle "Backbone after lsq fit to Backbone"
    0.0000000    0.0000003
    0.0000000    0.3306260
    0.0000000    0.2545602
    0.0000000    0.3293277
    0.0000000    0.2299789
    0.0000000    0.3216407

Then I calculate the loop region and got:

@ subtitle "Backbone_&_r_120-131 after lsq fit to Backbone"
    0.0000000    0.0000003
    0.0000000    0.1526730
    0.0000000    0.1202507
    0.0000000    0.1449232
    0.0000000    0.1318949
    0.0000000    0.1675032

As we can see, the rmsd of loop region is smaller than the backbone
which I think it should be reversed.......

thank you very much.