[gmx-users] .gro file problem

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Oct 28 21:06:39 CET 2012

On 10/28/12 12:57 PM, Albert wrote:
> hello:
>
>   I finished a MD and it generate a .gro file: confout.gro
>
> However, I find that there is some problems:
>
> editconf -f confout.gro -o md.pdb
>
> it said:
>
> Program grompp, VERSION 4.5.5
> Source code file: confio.c, line: 801
>
> Fatal error:
> Something is wrong in the coordinate formatting of file md.gro. Note that gro is
> fixed format (see the manual)
>
> "If You Want Something Done You Have to Do It Yourself" (Highlander II)
>

> However, I can open it with VMD without no problem. But if I try to do it with
> gromacs, similiar errors happen.
>
> grompp -f myMD.mdp -c md.gro -p complex.top -o md2.tpr
> Program grompp, VERSION 4.5.5
> Source code file: confio.c, line: 801
>
> Fatal error:
> Something is wrong in the coordinate formatting of file md.gro. Note that gro is
> fixed format (see the manual)
>
> "Carry Me Away" (Motors)

Visual inspection with a text editor should tell you what's wrong.  Either the
file is incomplete (i.e. header or box vectors missing) or the coordinates are
large (indicating the system became unstable at some point).  The fact that VMD
loads the file suggests that the latter may be true.  An incomplete file would
not load, but one with screwy coordinates still would.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080