[gmx-users] Why potential energy not in negative value?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Oct 31 13:42:59 CET 2012

On 10/31/12 4:10 AM, Nur Syafiqah Abdul Ghani wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Currently I'm doing the minimization part for my solvent which is
> hexafluoroisopropanol with water.
> I'm packing them with packmol then use the forcefield gromos96.
> Now  by using the command
> grompp -f em1.mdp -c minimize_301012.gro -p topol.top -o minimize_311012.tpr
> mdrun -deffnm minimize_311012 -v
>
> And its give the result as follow :
>
> writing lowest energy coordinates.
>
> Back Off! I just backed up minimize_311012.gro to ./#minimize_311012.gro.3#
>
> Steepest Descents converged to Fmax < 15 in 36 steps
> Potential Energy  =  1.88042503678994e+05
> Maximum force     =  1.46843345643871e+01 on atom 30092
> Norm of force     =  1.94397813942079e+00
>

> I already minimize it with the bigger step that use about 10ns.
> Next I increase the step which take about 15ns and the result show
> same as above..

Note that EM is not run in time, so your settings below are misleading.  The
only settings that matter are nsteps and emstep; dt is ignored completely when
running EM.  Note that your cutoff settings are incorrect for Gromos96, as you
say you are using.  How did you generate the HFIP topology?

The positive potential indicates that your system has a net repulsive energy, so
the configuration isn't very happy.  The maximum force is very good, but there
may be unsatisfied interactions that yield the positive energy.  Perhaps a
gentle equilibration will resolve the situation.

-Justin

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080