[gmx-users] Re: Glutamate to Alanine Mutation

Sai Kumar Ramadugu sramadugu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 04:52:16 CEST 2013

Dear Prof Mobley,

I have some additional questions in understanding the free energy
calculations.

1) When doing a mutation from a larger aminoacid to a smaller one, one
necessarily ends up with dummy atoms and atoms that have different mass. In
my case when the glutamate is converted into a glycine or an alanine a
carbon will become a hydrogen (change in mass) and the rest of the excess
atoms will become dummies with the mass they had in Glu.

The change in mass has an effect in the kinetic energy part of the
Hamiltonian contribution to the free energy and this change is properly
computed by Gromacs as <dKe/dL>. However it is clear from this procedure
that because the dummies have mass, the mass of Ala or Gly will not be the
correct and therefore <dKe/dL> would be quite meaningless. I read papers
that suggest only integrating the potential energy component <dV/dL>. In
fact for example, the Amber11 manual indicates that Amber mutations only
change the potential but keep all masses the same as they were before the
alchemical change.

Clearly having dummies with no mass would fix this issue but it would be
problematic because F=m*a and with m=0 for a given finite F, the
acceleration on the dummies would be infinite.

In Monte Carlo all of this is irrelevant because one only computes the
potential contribution to the free energy difference but in MD the story is
different. What is the customary approach to deal with this? Just use
<dV/dL> and discard <dKe/dL>?

2) The g_bar analysis appears to assume that the interpolation between
states a and b is linear (g_bar issues a warning "using the derivative data
(dH/dlambda) to extrapolate delta H values. This will only work if the
Hamiltonian is linear in lambda." ). However when using softcore potentials
lambda also enters in the expression for "r". It would appear that the
interpolation is not really linear even though the LJ transformation also
looks like
Va *lambda+ (1- lambda)* Vb
Nonetheless I see g_bar being used for such transformations. Could you shed
light on this?

3) Also it is common to use small lambda spacings (close to lambda=0 and
lambda=1) but somewhat larger spacing between 0.1 and 0.9. How does g_bar
handle this? Is the integration and error analysis done correctly even when
the lambda spacing may be different at different lambda values?

Thank you for your time.

Regards
Sai