[gmx-users] 1-4 interactions

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Apr 3 14:06:55 CEST 2013

On 4/3/13 7:49 AM, Liron Cohen wrote:
> I am using PME, can you elaborate about the decomposing you mentioned?

The mesh term includes all long-range interactions and is not broken down, even
in the presence of energygrps in the .mdp file.  Some time ago, someone posted a
method of several re-runs with custom .tpr files that suggested one could
determine the individual contributions of different molecules to the mesh, but I
don't know if anyone ever tried it or if it would even work.

People often measure these so-called "interaction energies," and they can be
useful in some cases, but no force field has ever been parametrized to guarantee
that such a number would even make sense.  Interaction energies may provide some
qualitative insight, but if you want real quantitative metrics of interaction
strength, you should probably be doing real free energy calculations.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080