[gmx-users] Applying periodic boundary conditions in energy minimization

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Apr 3 17:10:53 CEST 2013

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Abhinav Agrawal <abhv.agrw at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a polymer box on which I wish to apply energy minimization. However,
> when I do energy minimization runs to polymer chain unravels and goes out
> of the box. I guess this is because periodic conditions are not applied.
>
> My em.mdp file is:
>

> > ;
> > cpp                 =  /usr/bin/cpp
> > define              =  -DFLEX_SPC
> > constraints         =  none
> > integrator          =  steep
> > nsteps              =  1000
> > ;       Energy minimizing stuff
> > ;
> > emtol               =  2000
> > emstep              =  0.01
> > nstcomm             =  1
> > ns_type             =  grid
> > rlist               =  1
> > rcoulomb            =  1
> > rvdw                =  1
> > Tcoupl              =  no
> > Pcoupl              =  no
> > gen_vel             =  no
> > pbc                      = xyz

This last line means PBC are being applied. Your observations are
consistent with using a box that is too small for the solute, but since you
haven't supplied information as to (1) what the system is, (2) how you
built it, or (3) how large the box is, there's very little to say beyond
speculation.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540)
231-9080http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin