[gmx-users] GROMACS 4.6v - Myrinet2000

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Mon Apr 8 16:18:28 CEST 2013

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 2:28 AM, Hrachya Astsatryan <hrach at sci.am> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > We have installed the latest version of Gromacs (version 4.6) on our
> > cluster by the following step:
> >
> >  * cmake .. -DGMX_MPI=ON -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/**backup/sicnas/gromacs
> >    -DGMX_BUILD_OWN_FFTW=ON -DGMX_PREFER_STATIC_LIBS=ON
> >

> With this command, you're building Gromacs' internal FFT rather than using
> FFTW. Your performance will be much better if you use FFTW. See the
> installation instructions for more information.

No, the GMX_BUILD_OWN_FFTW option will simply tell the build system to
download FFTW 3.3(.3?), build it, and link it statically against mdrun. I'm
just realizing that the naming of the option allows it to be confused with
GROMACS' built-in (=own) fftpack (which is typically at 2-3x+ slower).

Unfortunately, the install guide refers to the option as
-DGMX_BUILD_OWN_FFTW=ON which means that even Google can't find it.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Installation_Instructions#3.4.1._FFTW

Cheers,
--
Szilard