[gmx-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: help with a chromophore of GFP

Anna Marabotti amarabotti at unisa.it
Wed Apr 10 17:25:34 CEST 2013

Dear Mark,
I am really exhausted about this story. I read your message below, and
if I understand correctly, nothing is apparently wrong in what I'm
doing, however things are not going at all.
Following your suggestions, I removed in ffbonded.itp the lines defining
the CT-CT-N-C dihedral, as well as the other duplicated dihedrals that I
added. I checked carefully and didn't find any other duplication that
could be referred to the error in the dihedral that was already set.
In your message below, you told me that the order in which the sequence
of atoms identifying a dihedral or an improper is wrote does not matter,
as well as the sequence of dihedrals or impropers in aminoacids.rtp file
(and I agree with you). In any case, in order to try every possible
solution, I modified the aminoacids.rtp file in order to have exactly
the same sequence of impropers as in topol.top, and I rewrote all
impropers in order to have them defined exactly as in topol.top (eg. I
converted the CT-CT-N-C dihedral into C-N-CT-CT in aminoacids.rtp). I
corrected ONLY those parts of ffbonded.itp and aminoacids.rtp referred
to my chromophore and ONLY in dihedrals and impropers, not correcting
neither bonds nor angles parameters.
When I grompp'ed again, I had a new error message, but my surprise was
great when I found that, instead of the 6 warnings and 17 errors I
obtained previously, all referred to my chromophore, now I have 2
warnings and 43 messages, involving not only the dihedrals and impropers
of chromophore, but also bonds, angles, dihedrals and impropers of other
protein residues (in particular, two Trp residues). But the really
discouraging thing is that, when I removed the modified ffbonded.itp and
aminoacids.rtp files and replaced them with the old ones (that
theoretically should cause the old 6 warnings and 17 errors of which we
already discussed), I still have 6 warnings and 43 errors: replacing
these two files does not change the errors. I removed all intermediate
files and started from the PDB file without box, water etc.: nothing
changes, I am not able to reproduce the same errors I obtained yesterday
with the same files (I am sure of it, I saved them into dropbox
yesterday to render them available and I used exactly those files
instead of those that I have modified today and that I have removed from
the amber99sb.ff directory in my home. It sounds like Gromacs
"remembers" the last modification of ffbonded.itp and/or aminoacids.rtp
even if these two files have been further modified.
I am really discouraged about all this story. You say that I'm not doing
errors, apparently, but things are not going on. The most crazy thing is
that I DON'T UNDERSTAND where and how I am making mistakes. I don't want
ask you to do my homework, but I really would like to ask you to check
my files in order to understand where the error is. I am sure it is
somewhere, but I am not able to find it.

Anna

Anna Marabotti, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemistry and Biology
University of Salerno
Via Ponte don Melillo
84084 Fisciano (SA)
Italy
Phone: +39 089 969583
Fax: +39 089 969603
E-mail: amarabotti at unisa.it
Skype: annam1972

"When a man with a gun meets a man with a pen, the man with the gun is a dead man"
(Roberto Benigni, about Roberto Saviano)