[gmx-users] About gpu

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 14:01:10 CEST 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 8:14 AM, 陈照云 <chenzhaoyun06 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have tested gromacs-4.6.1 with k20. But when I run the mdrun, I met some
> problems.
>
> 1.Configure options are -DGMX_MPI=ON ,-DGMX_DOUBLE=ON -DGMX_GPU=OFF .
>
> But if I run parallely with mpirun, it would get wrong.
>
> "Note: file tpx version 58, software tpx version 83

You've prepared your input file with some ancient version of grompp and run
into problems with a modern version of mdrun trying to run on hardware that
didn't exist when the code for your version of grompp was compiled. That's
expected. Use a matching version of grompp.

> Fatal error in PMPI_Bcast: Invalid buffer pointer, error stack:
>
> PMPI_Bcast(2011): MPI_Bcast(buf=(nil), count=56, MPI_BYTE, root=0,
> MPI_COMM_WORLD) failed
>
> PMPI_Bcast(1919): Null buffer pointer
>
> APPLICATION TERMINATED WITH THE EXIT STRING: Hangup (signal 1)
>
> "
>
> 2. Configure options are -DGMX_MPI=ON ,-DGMX_GPU=ON -DGMX_DOUBLE=OFF . But
> if I run with gpu, the program would get wrong.
>
> run one process with gpu:
>
> "Reading file topol.tpr, VERSION 4.5.1-dev-20100917-b1d66 (single
> precision)
>
> Note: file tpx version 73, software tpx version 83

Same. And this beta version of GROMACS 4.5.1 should have been deleted in
October 2010. There is no excuse for using it now with 4.6.1!

Mark

NOTE: GPU(s) found, but the current simulation can not use GPUs