[gmx-users] Re: Water spreading on graphene!

Sapna Sarupria sapna.sarupria at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 20:11:27 CEST 2013

Dear David,

I apologize for the confusion. There are no partial charges on the graphene
sheet . The only interactions between the sheet and water are from VdW
interactions.

To give some background:
We were initially simulating graphene oxide with water which has partial
charges. Then to test the effect of oxygens we retained the carbons and
their partial charges, and simulated the system. As expected it was
hydrophilic. Then we turned off all the partial charges to obtain a
graphene sheet and tested the system. Unexpectedly, we still saw the drop
spreading. That is how the whole mystery originated. I hope this clarifies
things.

Again, there are no partial charges on the graphene sheet.

Sapna

--
Sapna Sarupria
Assistant Professor