[gmx-users] How to fix interfacial tension in NPT

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Apr 22 03:37:27 CEST 2013

On 4/21/13 9:30 PM, Souilem Safa wrote:
> Dear Justin,
> Thank you for your answer, I'm sorry for delay to reply. Actually I'm
> running a simulation of oil-water interface. I'm using Gromos 53a6 force
> field which is usually used for triglycerides. after semiisotropic and MD
> step I still have around 40 mN.m-1 interfacial tension which is pretty far
> from my experimental value. Following is my mdp file for NPT step.
> I would be very grateful if you can help me to solve this issue

Do you have any reason to believe that 53A6 should reproduce quantities like
surface tension?  I haven't seen such a demonstration before, though I admit I
haven't actively gone looking.  The cutoffs you are using are incorrect for
strict use of 53A6; that could be a contributing factor to your problems.

-Justin

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080