[gmx-users] Re: protein-ligand interactions in charmm force field

James Starlight jmsstarlight at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 16:18:18 CEST 2013

Justin,

as the example I have 2 systems consisted of receptor completed with 2
different ligands.

After 100ns of production run I've realized that both of that ligands has
the same degree of conformational dynamics on internal degrees of freedom (
the same RMSD as the measure of internal mobility of that compounds). But
the main difference was in the mobility of the smaller agonist molecule
(movement inside the ligand-binding pocket   in comparison to the bulkier
antagonist. So as consequence I've obtained  higher value of the MSD in
case of smaller ligand. Could the MSD be representative measure of such
whole-body motion of the ligand ? What advantages have the calculation of
the diffusion coefficient ( which could be calculated from MSD )?

2) How I could visualize such ligand mobility ? For example for dynamics on
internal degrees of freedom Principal components analysis could give best
representation of conformational mobility.
In case when I want to explore diffusional-behavior I should obtain
representation of some confrontational volume (the surface within
ligand-binding cavity  accessible for the ligand). What Gromac's tools
could be useful for that?

James