[gmx-users] Free Energy Calculations in Gromacs

HANNIBAL LECTER hanniballecter13 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 23:12:59 CEST 2013

Thank you Professor Shirts.

So now my protein itp file looks like this:
[ atoms ]
;   nr    type  resnr residue  atom  cgnr  charge    mass    typeB
 chargeB  MassB
 1     CT    1    ACE    CH3      1   -0.190264   12.010000      CT_per
-0.120334    12.010000
[ bonds ]
;ai  aj func th0 kb th0B kbB
    1     2  1   0.10900  284512.0   0.10900    113804.8

[ pairs ]
1     8     1

[ angles ]
;ai   aj    ak      funct      th0         kb         th0B          kbB
    2     1     3  1   109.500  292.880   109.500    117.152

[ dihedrals ]
i    j     k    l     func     th0       cth     mult      th0B     cthB
   multB
    2     1     5     6   9    180.0     2.86144  1    180.0    1.14458  1

Now, I have created 6 different lambda values and placed a
well-equilibrated structure and the same topology file (with values
corresp. to lambda=0 and lambda =1) within six directories. The .mdp files
contain the information (init-lambda-state=0,1,..) which lambda state is
it.

Is my approach correct ?

Secondly, when I grompp followed by gmxdump -s *.tpr I find, that there is
no difference in hamiltonian between the two. So, does the scaling take
place during runtime?

Third, since in state B only the hamiltonian is rescaled (the perturbed
entries are defined in ffnonbonded.itp file) do I need to explicitly add
another section [ pairs_nb ]?

Again, I thank you for replying.