[gmx-users] issue in replica exchange

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 09:21:36 CEST 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:05 PM, XAvier Periole <x.periole at rug.nl> wrote:

> Thanks for the answer. I'll check gmx4.5.7 and report back.
>
> I am not sure what you mean by GROMACS swaps the coordinates not the
> ensemble data. The coupling to P and T and not exchanged with it?

The code in src/kernel/repl_ex.c:

static void exchange_state(const gmx_multisim_t *ms, int b, t_state *state)
{
    /* When t_state changes, this code should be updated. */
    int ngtc, nnhpres;
    ngtc    = state->ngtc * state->nhchainlength;
    nnhpres = state->nnhpres* state->nhchainlength;
    exchange_rvecs(ms, b, state->box, DIM);
    exchange_rvecs(ms, b, state->box_rel, DIM);
    exchange_rvecs(ms, b, state->boxv, DIM);
    exchange_reals(ms, b, &(state->veta), 1);
    exchange_reals(ms, b, &(state->vol0), 1);
    exchange_rvecs(ms, b, state->svir_prev, DIM);
    exchange_rvecs(ms, b, state->fvir_prev, DIM);
    exchange_rvecs(ms, b, state->pres_prev, DIM);
    exchange_doubles(ms, b, state->nosehoover_xi, ngtc);
    exchange_doubles(ms, b, state->nosehoover_vxi, ngtc);
    exchange_doubles(ms, b, state->nhpres_xi, nnhpres);
    exchange_doubles(ms, b, state->nhpres_vxi, nnhpres);
    exchange_doubles(ms, b, state->therm_integral, state->ngtc);
    exchange_rvecs(ms, b, state->x, state->natoms);
    exchange_rvecs(ms, b, state->v, state->natoms);
    exchange_rvecs(ms, b, state->sd_X, state->natoms);
}

I mis-stated last night - there *is* exchange of ensemble data, but it is
incomplete. In particular, state->ekinstate is not exchanged. Probably it
is incomplete because the 9-year-old comment about t_state changing is in a
location that nobody changing t_state will see. And serializing a complex C
data structure over MPI is tedious at best. But that is not really an
excuse for the non-modularity GROMACS has for many of its key data
structures. We are working on various workflow and actual code structure
improvements to fix/prevent issues like this, but the proliferation of
algorithms that ought to be inter-operable makes the job pretty hard.

Other codes seem to exchange the ensemble label data (e.g. reference
temperatures for T-coupling) because they write trajectories that are
continuous with respect to atomic coordinates. I plan to move REMD in
GROMACS to this approach, because it scales better, but it will not happen
any time soon.

That would explain what I see, but let see what 4.5.7 has to say first.

Great. It may be that there were other issues in 4.5.3 that exacerbated any
REMD problem.

Mark

Tks.