[gmx-users] Fatal error: Failed to lock: md.log. Function not implemented.

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Apr 30 12:01:29 CEST 2013

On 4/29/13 9:30 PM, maggin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I use GROMACS4.5.5 to do peptid simulation. At NVT step, system is not
> equilibration, so I extend NVT simulation as follows:
>
> tpbconv -s nvt.tpr  -extend 2000  -o next1.tpr
> mpirun -np 4 mdrun_mpi -reprod  -s next1.tpr -cpi nvt.cpt
>
> after finish this extending, I got files: traj.trr  state_prev.cpt state.cpt
> md.log ener.edr confout.gro
>
> Though extending, this system is also not equilibration, so I continue
> extend:
>
> tpbconv -s next1.tpr -extend 1000  -o next2.tpr
> mpirun -np 4 mdrun_mpi  -reprod  -s next2.tpr -cpi state.cpt
>
> but it doesn't work, and get:
>
> Program mdrun_mpi, VERSION 4.5.5
> Source code file: checkpoint.c, line: 1757
>
> Fatal error:
> Failed to lock: md.log. Function not implemented.
>
> How could fix it? Thank you very much!

mdrun is trying to append to an existing file named md.log.  Either it is not
there (i.e. moved or renamed) or has been modified in some way that the
appending mechanism fails.  The solution is to use -noappend or to make use of
informative names when running mdrun so you do not recycle default names.  For
instance:

mpirun -np 4 mdrun_mpi -reprod -deffnm next2 -cpi state.cpt

All your output files will be prefixed with "next2" instead of their default
names.  It may save you some hassle.  Also note that -reprod is mainly for
debugging purposes.  You're likely losing performance by using it.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080