[gmx-users] Re: Conserved energy ("Conserved En.") in NVT simulation

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 13:36:46 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 9:42 PM, Janne Hirvi <janne.hirvi at uef.fi> wrote:
> Thanks for your comments Mark,
>
> If I understood correctly, you are saying, that maybe linear drift in "Conserved En." could indicate conservation of
> that quantity, which we actually should be interested.
>
> However, I made meanwhile some additional calculations and noticed that drift in "Conserved En." with v-rescale
> temperature coupling decreases if tau_t is increased.

What would you have expected from equation 15?

> So, in my opinion it would indicate that drift in "Conserved En."
> is more or less related to "disturbance" due to temperature coupling. If this is true, there shouldn't be drift in perfect
> case - am I correct?

If you use any finite temperature coupling, then you are perturbing
the dynamics away from that of the NVE Hamiltonian. The Hamiltonian
"drift" is the time integral of the auxiliary dynamics. By
construction, this is drift non-zero for this thermostat.

Mark