[gmx-users] Box dimension size errors in MARTINI soft core simulation

Scott Pendley scott.pendley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 17:35:34 CEST 2013

Justin,

Much appreciation for the suggestions.  I found that the large time
constant (tau_p) on the pressure coupling was indeed a significant
contributor.  When I dropped that value down to 2.5, the box vectors scaled
down in a more reasonable manner maintaining the cubic simulation box.

With regard to your other questions:
Visualizing is possible but is more technical to do with MARTINI beads.  I
am still trying to figure out how to do this on vmd.

The prior npt run also used parrinello-rahman but with a tau-p of 2.0.
This may have contributed to some of the instability seen in this system so
I may switch it to berendsen per your suggestion.

I agree, isotropic coupling would be better for this system.

Some initial runs suggests that turning off the free energy portion does
allow the simulations to run to completion (for short simulations of 10 ns)
but I haven't analyzed them to determine if the sampling time is
insufficient to reveal developing instabilities.

Contrary to logic, at lambda = 0 this simulation instability also occurs.

The LJ changes are composed on contributions from both solvent-solvent
interactions and solvent-solute.  I am seeing a ~ 3000 kj/mol different
that grows but plateaus out before the system crashes.  I would be hesitant
about ascribing the instability to this term as the decrease in LJ and
total energy would be expected at lamba=0.4 and the energy reached its
maximum prior to the system instability.

Have an amazing day,

Scott