[gmx-users] GPU-based workstation

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Thu Aug 1 19:25:00 CEST 2013

I may be late with the reply, but here are my 2 cents.

If you need a single very fast machine (i.e. maximum single simulation
performance), you should get
- either a very fast desktop CPU: i7 3930 or for 2x more the 3970 -
which, BTW, I think is not worth it ($600-1000)
- or 1-2 fast Xeon E5-s - depending on how many and which these will
be $1k-2k each.

For a single CPU setup two Titans may be an overkill and (at least
with the current code) you may get very little extra performance from
using two iso one GPU. With a dual-socket machine (and decently fast
CPUs), if you have a large enough input system, two GPUs will work
nicely.

However, if you care about total simulation throughput and you have
multiple simulations to run, I'd suggest that you buy 2-3 machines
with the components that give the best ns/day/$: something like
i7-4670 or 4770 with GTX 680/770 (or 780).

--
Szilárd