[gmx-users] Re: inconsistent energy drops

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Aug 1 23:01:31 CEST 2013

On 8/1/13 4:58 PM, Brad Van Oosten wrote:
> I used the mdrun -rerun option to recalculate the energies of the system and
> it gave me nearly the same energy plot but without the random drops(see plot
> below).  I am still unsure what is causing the jumps but i do not believe it
> is from my system.  Since the energy is used in the calculation for the next
> step, is there reason to worry about the validity of this run?

Forces dictate the dynamics, not the energies.  This could be either a dynamics
bug or an output bug.

> potential energy (black being the original potential and red being the
> -rerun)
> <http://gromacs.5086.x6.nabble.com/file/n5010294/pot_rerun.png>
> Zoomed in on first peaks:
> <http://gromacs.5086.x6.nabble.com/file/n5010294/pot_rerun_close.png>

OK, that does look weird.  What Gromacs version is this?  What is in your .mdp file?

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601