[gmx-users] g_potential and trjconv: problems with bilayer simulation analysis

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Aug 2 02:06:40 CEST 2013

On 8/1/13 6:55 PM, wood irene wrote:
> Hi all
> I'm trying to calculate the electrostatic potential of POPC membrane
> systems from a trajectory.
> When I use g_potential, the calculation is well done but the results are
> plotted from 0 to 7 nm of Z coordinates, with the bilayer center near to
> 3.5nm. Is possible, modifying the trajectory in order to obtain the results
> centered in Z=0nm for my membrane simulation? Wich are the steps that I
> need to follow?
> I have tried using trjconv but I can not achieve any good solution, with
> the system centered in bilayer core at z=0. I think that may be using a
> combination of boxcenter/center, pbc and trans I could resolve it, but I'm
> not familiar with the correct steps.

trjconv -center (centering on POPC) followed by trjconv -trans 0 0 -3.5 -pbc mol
should get you pretty close, though if you're using pressure coupling, that 7-nm
z-dimension is not fixed so you may need to tweak the translation distance.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601