[gmx-users] want to apply electric field in membrane system

sudipta sudipta.mml at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 19:02:23 CEST 2013

I am coming across the similar problem. In my case I was using
semiisotropic pressure and set the compressiblity in x/y as 0.0 to
construct the NPAT ensemble. The area in xy plane is not changing but the
dimension of z has changed. The system behaves well without the application
of electric field of strength 0.5 V/nm. However, the lipid molecules
rapidly penetrate (within 5ns period) into the water in presence of that
electric field  (I think it is rapid electroporation).  Basically, after a
while it is like a mixture of lipid and water system and the bilayer has
destroyed. I don't understand how much logical is it?

These are my keywords
Pcoupl                   = berendsen
Pcoupltype               = semiisotropic
tau_p                    = 5.0 5.0
compressibility          = 0.0  3e-4
ref_p                    = 1.0  1.0

;Electric fileld