[gmx-users] want to apply electric field in membrane system

sudipta sudipta.mml at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 22:56:34 CEST 2013

Basically, few litterateurs suggested that the electric field generates a
stable water pore inside a membrane. I am motivated by that fact and try to
create a water pore for my system.

I found few litterateurs on this topic. However, I am based on a protocol
as suggested by Marrinik et al (plos computational biology, 6, e1000810,
2010). Although, they used octane slab instead of using lipid in their
first setup. Interestingly, they showed the electroporation of octane
occurs within very short period (600 ps) when they applied electric field
of strength 0.8V/nm. So, is it really electroporation or just destruction
of octane layer. I am really confused from their information.

In their real membrane system (they used DMPC), they considered a double
bilayer setup and created an electric field by transmembrane ionic charge
imbalance.  By that way they created an electric field of strength 0.7 V/nm
across the membrane. In another setup, they just directly applied an
electric field of strength 0.3-0.7 V/nm.  However, when I am applying an
electric field of strength 0.5 V/nm across the membrane directly, the
bilayer destroys. Do you have any idea what is going on in my system? Any
suggestion will be appreciated.