[gmx-users] VDW Cut-off vs Switch with CHARMM force field

Gianluca Interlandi gianluca at u.washington.edu
Sun Aug 25 00:08:29 CEST 2013

Hi!

I am running explicit solvent simulations with the CHARMM force field
implemented in gromacs 4.6.3. For VDW I have been using:

rlist    = 1.0
vdw-type = Cut-off
rvdw     = 1.0

in conjunction with PME and rcoulomb=1 for electrostatics.

I wonder whether it would be more accurate to use instead a switching
function for VDW between 0.8 and 1.0 and a larger rlist:

rlist       = 1.2
vdw-type    = Switch
rvdw_switch = 0.8
rvdw        = 1.0

My question is: does switching between 0.8 and 1.0 generate less artifacts
than abrupt truncation at 1.0 nm for VDW?

Thanks!

      Gianluca

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca at u.washington.edu
                     http://artemide.bioeng.washington.edu/

Research Scientist at the Department of Bioengineering