[gmx-users] LIGAND TOPOLOGY

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Aug 27 12:03:37 CEST 2013

On 8/27/13 5:10 AM, MUSYOKA THOMMAS wrote:
> Dear users,
> I have been trying to build la ligand topology of my ligand through the
> PRODRG web server.
> I have the following queries;
> According to Justin's important tutorial (
> http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/complex/02_topology.html
> i am lost on how to allocate equivalent charges to equivalent groups. I
> have read the recommended paper but seems still i have issues in allocating
> the correct charges to my groups.

You'll have to be a lot more specific with what you're dealing with and what
you're doing if you want to get any useful help.

> Secondly, its about how to determine which groups are encompassed by a
> charge group
>
> Attached find in my PRODRG input file.

Attachments are not allowed on the mailing list.

> Someone out there help me in understanding this.

Charge groups are used in the Gromos96 force fields and typically contain 2-4
atoms such that the group has an integral charge (generally -1, 0, or 1).
Figures 1, 3, 4, and 5 of our paper (dx.doi.org/10.1021/ci100335w) show how to
properly assign charge groups in molecules of increasing complexity.  Our work
should have encompassed almost all of the most commonly encountered functional
groups.  Other examples for well-known molecules can be found in the .rtp file
for the force field.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy