[gmx-users] Long range Lennard Jones

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Aug 29 13:56:24 CEST 2013

On 8/29/13 1:18 AM, Gianluca Interlandi wrote:
> Justin,
>
> I respect your opinion on this. However, in the paper indicated below by BR
> Brooks they used a cutoff of 10 A on LJ when testing IPS in CHARMM:
>
> Title: Pressure-based long-range correction for Lennard-Jones interactions in
> molecular dynamics simulations: Application to alkanes and interfaces
> Author(s): Lague, P; Pastor, RW; Brooks, BR
> Source: JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY B Volume: 108 Issue: 1 Pages: 363-368
> Published: JAN 8 2004

I cannot say for sure whether the DispCorr implementation in Gromacs is the same
or comparable to IPS in CHARMM.  You would have to test that, and also test a
more complex system than simple liquids.

> There is also a paper by Piana and Shaw where different cutoffs for non-bonded
> are tested with CHARMM22 on Anton:
>
> http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0039918
>
> They found some subtle differences, in particular for cutoffs shorter than 9 A.
> However, Anton uses abrupt truncation (no switching) and I believe that the
> differences they found at cutoffs > 9 A would be much smaller if they had used a
> finer mesh (as they show at the 8 A cutoff). I always use fourierspacing=1.0

Note that Shaw's group is using their own modified force field, CHARMM22*, so
that factors in here, as well.  I do recall that paper, though I haven't read it
in a while, so details may be fuzzy.  Wasn't the principal point to test methods
for long-range electrostatics and the influence of cutoffs in that context?  I
seem to recall LJ taking a backseat there.  It is certainly true that
short-range Coulomb cutoffs are more flexible when using Ewald methods.

> I agree though that it strongly depends on the system and I have always run
> control simulations but never found significant differences in the case of just
> proteins.

That's good to know that you've tested different setups.  Are the water
interaction energies comparable?  Have you tested model compounds or just full
proteins?  Over how long of a time period?

> Finally, I have not tested it in gromacs, but in NAMD there is a performance
> gain of 25% when using the shorter cutoff. This is a factor to consider. When I
> asked for Teragrid supercomputing allocations back in 2006 and 2007 and I
> suggested 10/12/14 cutoff, the reviewers always complained and cut my requested
> time of 20% with the justification that I must use a shorter cutoff.

That's unfortunate.  In my opinion, it is shameful that desired performance
exceeds proven integrity of the data.  If all we're after is performance, I can
write up a dozen papers in the next few months with completely useless data, but
they will be produced quickly! ;)

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy