[gmx-users] periodic_molecule & missing interactions

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Aug 29 22:55:07 CEST 2013

On 8/29/13 8:44 AM, Valentina wrote:
> I have a layered double hydroxide structure: i.e a sheet with Metals (Al &
> Mg), that are balanced by OH groups on both sides.
>
> The sheet should be periodic in xy-direction and there are bonds between Al
> and OH.
>
> For this, obv., I am using in-house FF, that I assign with pdb2gmx.
> In the molecule.rtp I specify bonds (Al-O, O-H) and angles (Al-O-H). There
> are no dihedrals, hence nrexcl is set to 2. I also have LJ and Coulomb.
>
> I run energy minimisation on a small cell containing 2 layers of mineral (
> 1.25680  x  1.08842 x 3.20000  + angles) and get an error on 32nd step.
>
> May be cell is too small?

Possibly.  What are your cutoffs?  I would imagine that unit cell violates the
minimum image convention for all but the smallest cutoffs.  I don't know what
your custom force field requires, though.

First, make your life easy.  Run with a single layer to make sure that's stable
before adding a second layer.

-Justin

> When I run without periodic_molecule = yes I do not have such issue.
>

> Any help will be great!
>

> Step=   31, Dmax= 9.9e-02 nm, Epot=  1.95744e+08 Fmax= 3.13311e+06, atom= 64
>
> step 32: Water molecule starting at atom 404 can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep if appropriate.
> Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates
> Step=   32, Dmax= 1.2e-01 nm, Epot=  1.95737e+08 Fmax= 8.74156e+05, atom=
> 404
> Step=   33, Dmax= 1.4e-01 nm, Epot=  1.95706e+08 Fmax= 2.39047e+05, atom= 50
>
> A list of missing interactions:
>                  Bond of    112 missing      4
>                 Angle of    168 missing     18
>            exclusions of    535 missing      8

> Program mdrun, VERSION 4.5.5
> Source code file: domdec_top.c, line: 173
>
> Software inconsistency error:
> Some interactions seem to be assigned multiple times

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601