[gmx-users] Long range Lennard Jones

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Aug 29 22:57:32 CEST 2013

On 8/29/13 2:52 PM, Gianluca Interlandi wrote:
>> That's good to know that you've tested different setups.  Are the water
>> interaction energies comparable?  Have you tested model compounds or just full
>> proteins?  Over how long of a time period?
>
> I have tested only full proteins over a 50-ns period. I have not calculated yet
> the water interaction energies. Do you mean by that just the force field
> interaction energy bulk-bulk? I plan to test how much it affects FEP calculations.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the underlying CHARMM parameterization - MM
water interaction energies between model compounds and whether or not the new
cutoffs recapitulate the original CHARMM MM energies with the "standard" values.

>>> Finally, I have not tested it in gromacs, but in NAMD there is a performance
>>> gain of 25% when using the shorter cutoff. This is a factor to consider. When
>>> I asked for Teragrid supercomputing allocations back in 2006 and 2007 and I
>>> suggested 10/12/14 cutoff, the reviewers always complained and cut my
>>> requested time of 20% with the justification that I must use a shorter cutoff.
>
>> That's unfortunate.  In my opinion, it is shameful that desired performance
>> exceeds proven integrity of the data.
>
> I mean, performance is a factor to consider when accuracy is not affected. I
> don't recall what the reviewer's reasoning was. They probably did their
> recommendation in good faith that it won't affect accuracy. But I agree that one
> should test how much the system is affected.

Of course, if accuracy is not in question then performance dominates.  I have
seen countless reports on this list and elsewhere where small changes in cutoffs
lead to wildly incorrect behavior, affecting every force field.  Thus, I am
always extremely skeptical of such changes.  The effects can be subtle but
non-negligible.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy