[gmx-users] Regarding Position restraint and freezegroups

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Aug 29 22:59:57 CEST 2013

On 8/29/13 3:25 PM, rahul seth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been performing simulations with nanotubes. I read several entries
> in the gromacs users forum regarding the correctness of the usage of the
> freeze groups in simulations.
> However, I am trying to perform NPT simulations at two different
> temperatures using berendsen and parrinello-rahman barostat respectively
> freezing the carbon nanotubes and position restraining them at the same
> time.

Why would this be necessary?  Both position restraints and freezegrps restrict
movement; under what circumstances are both necessary?  Hopefully, from a very
recent thread on this topic, it should be abundantly clear that the combination
of pressure coupling and frozen atoms is fundamentally unsound.

> I am using refcoord-scaling = com
>
> I do not have any information regarding the bonded interactions of the
> carbon nanotubes since I am freezing and position restraining them anyways.

Why not?  CNT simulations are not novel; plenty of people have used reasonable
parameters for bonded and nonbonded interactions.

> Interestingly, although Berendsen barostat keeps the diameter constant at a
> fixed value the parrinello-rahman barostat changes the diameter of the
> nanotube quite significantly at the higher temperatures. Can anyone explain
> what is going on?

The Parrinello-Rahman barostat allows for wider oscillations in the pressure,
and higher temperatures exacerbate the outcome.  I suspect that the combination
of a non-physical restraint/frozen combination and the natural behavior of the
barostat causes artifacts like this.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy