[gmx-users] Distance restraints exploding system

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 10:02:09 CEST 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 8:56 AM, Trayder <trayder.thomas at monash.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am attempting to simulate a protein-ligand complex using distance
> restraints to match it to NMR data.
> The system runs stably without restraints. With restraints it tends to spit
> out LINCS angle warnings and blow up under most conditions.
>
> I'm attempting to use:
> ;       Restraints
> disre           =  simple
> disre-weighting =  conservative
> disre-fc        =  1000
>
> It blows up within 100 steps unless:
> I run on a single core (+gpu) or
> disre-fc = <100 or
> disre-weighting = equal
>
> If disre-weighting = conservative is causing extreme forces, then I figure
> it should do the same on 1 core.

Not really. MD is chaotic. Small changes in initial conditions lead to
different results.

> If domain decomposition is the problem, then I would think disre-weighting =
> equal shouldn't work either.
> I'm stumped... anyone got any ideas?

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Blowing_Up has the
usual suggestions - don't use P-R yet, try a smaller time step, make
sure your system is close to the restrained regime (or be extra gentle
until it is).

Mark