[gmx-users] TPIC and GMX_TPI_DUMP

João M. Damas jmdamas at itqb.unl.pt
Fri Aug 30 23:51:14 CEST 2013

Dear Rafael,

Which version of GROMACS are you using? I cannot guarantee my following
comments are valid in 4.6.X, only on 4.0.X and 4.5.X.

What values have you tried from GMX_TPI_DUMP? Basically, the value you set
it to will be the energy value that will be compared with the epot of the
system with the molecule inserted. Intuitively, I think you're choosing
very low values for GMX_TPI_DUMP, as probably the insertion of the water
molecule is mostly unfavorable, and the epot is, therefore, hugely large.
I'd suggest GMX_TPI_DUMP=1e+20 for a start (be careful, you *will* get a
lot of .pdb files: try inserting on a single trajectory frame as a test
case and reducing the number of insertions [nsteps]).

I don't understand why is your .xvg getting that big, unless you're using a
huge trajectory. In tpi(c).xvg, you only have one line per ps, and the
GMX_TPI_DUMP doesn't increase the output to the .xvg, IIRC.

On another note, I hope you're using the tpic algorithm, with the center of
insertion set to the geometric center of your prosthetic group, and not the
tpi algorithm.

I hope this helps.

Best,
João