[gmx-users] Invalid order for directive implicit_genborn_params

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Dec 2 03:56:54 CET 2013

On 12/1/13 9:51 PM, rdwducl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use implicit solvation but I am getting the following error
> from the preprocessor:

> Program grompp_mpi, VERSION 4.6.4
> Source code file:
> /home/robert/Research/Software/gromacs-4.6.4/src/kernel/topio.c, line: 734
>
> Fatal error:
> Syntax error - File gbsa.itp, line 1
> Last line read:
> '[ implicit_genborn_params ]'
> Invalid order for directive implicit_genborn_params
>
> My topology file:
>
> #include "ffG45a3.itp"
> #include "cta.itp"
> #include "ions.itp"
> #include "gbsa.itp"
>
> [ system ]
> CTAC micelle implicit
>
> [ molecules ]
> CTA        80
> CL-        80
>
> The #includes are pretty self-explanatory but here is the head of gbsa.itp:
>
> [ implicit_genborn_params ]
> C16 1.0 1 1.0 0.207 1.0
> C15 1.0 1 1.0 0.207 1.0
> C14 1.0 1 1.0 0.207 1.0
>
> I have read the manual regarding the order of directives in the topology
> file but that hasn't helped me.
>
> Perhaps I'm just tired. Can anyone see the problem?

All force field-level directives must be #included before any molecule-level
directives (e.g. [moleculetype]) can be declared.  Think of it this way: you
have to define all of the parameters of all of the atom types before any of
those types can be used within molecules.  Therefore, gbsa.itp must be #included
second in the list.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy