[gmx-users] using nopbc is not equal to using pbc with big box dimensions

Golshan Hejazi golshan.hejazi at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 3 15:17:36 CET 2013

I think I am confused. There are two things that i dont

When we use PME with the very large box. System should not interact with its periodic images. right? This means that I can compute the energy of the system as it is in the vacuum. Now, lets say that I use nopbc option and I get another value and very different for the energy.

When they are different and in both cases there is not interaction with pbc images, means that the way that electrostatic is computed for the system itself is different. right?

SO, Which one should someone rely on?

Which way to report a energy for a system in vacuum?

Thanks for your help guys
G.