[gmx-users] Fwd: Warning while loading .gro generated from .pdb with pdb2gmx

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 4 14:19:55 CET 2013

On 12/4/13 5:33 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> When I convert attached .pdb file to .gro using:
> pdb2gmx  -quiet -ff amber99 -water none -f ${MOL}.pdb -o ${MOL}Initial.gro
> -i ${MOL}.itp -p ${MOL}.top -ignh
>
> the generated .gro file causes vmd (1.9.1) to show this warning while
> Warning) Unusual bond between residues:  905 (protein) and 906 (none)
>
> Should I wonder about it? Or is pdb2gmx (from gromacs 4.6.2) generating a
> wrong .gro file for some reason?

What VMD thinks about bonds is irrelevant.  See
http://www.gromacs.org/Downloads/Related_Software/Visualization_Software#Topology_bonds_vs_Rendered_bonds.

You have two atoms that are close enough together that VMD guesses there should
be a bond, but the "bond" occurs between chemically distinct entities, so it
warns you.  It's not an important message in most cases.  For the purposes of
the simulation, the only bonds that matter are the ones defined in the .top file.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601