[gmx-users] deformation in cnt

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 4 18:30:22 CET 2013

On 12/4/13 10:48 AM, Atila Petrosian wrote:
> Dear Justin
>
> Thanks for your reply
>
> z dimension of box is exactly equal to the length of
> the cnt axis.
>
>> The box size should be (length of CNT) + (bond length).
>
> What value is appropriate for bond length to add length of CNT?

Whatever the lengths of the bonds are in your model.  If it's a "normal" CNT,
they're all the same.

> So, using freeze is not suitable for my system (neither in the em step nor
> in the nvt equilibration step)? Is my opinion true?

Freezing isn't useful for much of anything except the most extreme cases.

> I have a general question:
> When can I use freeze? What is difference between freeze and position
> restraint? Which of them is good for my system (cnt containing systems).

Position restraints introduce a biasing potential to the Hamiltonian.  Atoms can
move, but only if they overcome an energetic penalty.  If atoms are frozen, they
cannot move at all.  I don't know what the purpose of your simulation is, but I
doubt you need either beyond normal restraints during equilibration of solvent.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601