[gmx-users] atom name - topology

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Dec 5 14:27:14 CET 2013

On 12/5/13 5:18 AM, Steven Neumann wrote:
> I have not tried as wish to know before loosing time on making the
> topology. So each atom column needs letters - whats the maximum number of
> letters? Can I name them with same names (its one residue) as well as in
> pdb?

The easiest thing to do is define each residue as if it were a polymer, then you
don't have to worry about 2500+ unique atom names.  If each unit is only a few
beads, this becomes trivial to do and pdb2gmx will do all the work via .rtp entry.

-Justin

> Steven
>

> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 12/4/13 11:48 AM, Steven Neumann wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Gmx Users,
>>>
>>> My molecule contains 2516 atoms made of 5 type of beads: BAS, POL, NON,
>>> ACI, GLY and I want to create a topology. Is it possible to make one
>>> residue of one [ moleculetype ] with this number of atoms so that:
>>>
>>> [ moleculetype ]
>>> ; Name            nrexcl
>>> MOL            3
>>>
>>> [ atoms ]
>>> ;   nr       type  resnr residue  atom   cgnr     charge       mass
>>> typeB    chargeB      massB
>>> ; residue   1 1N rtp 1N  q  0.0
>>> 1    BAS    1    1N    1    1    0    133.208
>>> 2    POL    1    1N    2    2    0    87.08
>>> 3    NON    1    1N    3    3    0    147.172
>>> 4    BAS    1    1N    4    4    0    157.204