[gmx-users] umbrella versus constraint in the pulling code

Thomas Schlesier schlesi at uni-mainz.de
Tue Dec 10 16:48:03 CET 2013

Finally I had more time to look into this. My impression is that the
constraint-pulling is somewhat buggy and it only works truly with
'pull_geometry = distance', the other two options (direction or
position) are more or less broken. I tested GMX 4.0.7 and 4.6.5 and got
similar results.
Test system: Two argon atoms in vacuum, cubic box with 10nm length (so
pbc shouldn't be an issue) at 10 K (v-rescale thermostat) and no
pressure coupling. Distances between the particles were checked with
'g_dist'.

'pull_geometry = distance': Everything is fine and the distance
increases linearly (as expected)

'pull_geometry = direction': For fast pulling (v=0.1 nm/ps) I got the
expected results, but for faster pulling there were strange fluctuations
(GMX 4.0.7) or the distance increased too fast (GMX 4.6.5).
But I have no idea why this velocity dependence occurs.

'pull_geometry = position': Is totally broken and one always sees big
fluctuations, which break the simulation if the distance between the
particles becomes larger than half the box vectors.
One thing which is strange for the last setup is, that my initial
temperature is always 0 K, whereas i get an sensible value for the other
two setups (and using all the time 'gen_seed = 12345').

I will also file a bug report at 'http://redmine.gromacs.org' with the
input files I used.

Greetings
Thomas