[gmx-users] pressure based replica exchange

Jianguo Li ljggmx at yahoo.com.sg
Thu Dec 12 07:41:11 CET 2013

Thanks very much. As you suggested, making T with small increments such as 300.0, 300.0001, 300.0002 ... leads to complaints :-)

I am trying to do replica exchange at different surface tensions for my membrane system.
To achieve different surface tensions for different replica, I only changed Pxy, but keep Pz the same for all replica.
pcoupl          = berendsen
pcoupltype      = semi-isotropic
tau_p           = 0.5 0.5
ref_p           = 1.0 1.0  ; Pxy and Pz
compressibility = 4.5e-5  4.5e-5

I noticed that in the manual, the eq (3.141) shows the exchange probability. Can you explain what does the P1 and P2 represent? Pxy or Pz?

Also, the manual mentioned about using Hamiltonian and temperature replica exchange simultaneously (eq 3.143). But there is no pressure term in the acceptance criteria (eq 3.143). I am wondering if pressure+temperature+Hamiltonian replica exchange has been implemented in Gromacs. If yes, what is the general equation of acceptance criteria?

Cheers,
Jianguo