[gmx-users] question regarding free energy calculations

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Dec 26 14:08:46 CET 2013

On 12/25/13, 4:55 AM, Asaf Farhi wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Hi. We have a question regarding the implementation of free energy calculations in Gromacs that we have been trying for long time to decipher.
>
> The question is the following:
>
> When transforming molecule A to B if the non bonded interactions are changed through the topology file e.g:
> [ atoms ]
> ;  nr  type  resnr  resid  atom  cgnr  charge    mass   typeB  chargeB  massB
>      1    HC    1     PCH3    H1    1    0.123   1.0080   HC    0.0      1.0080
>
> , will the the interactions of this atom with all the other atoms be affected by this change of charge?

That depends on how you are setting coupl-intramol (and on a related note, check
out http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/1340).  The nonbonded interactions between
the coupled molecule and its surroundings are affected.  Whether or not
intramolecular interactions are affected depends on coupl-intramol.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601