[gmx-users] Re: Regarding mean square displacement

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Feb 7 14:55:01 CET 2013

On 2/7/13 7:08 AM, Kavyashree M wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> Yes it is the same protein. Initially I had not superposed the
> structures in the trajectory. But this time I calculated the msd
> on a superposed trajectory (of the same simulation). the simulation
> is carried out on a dimer for 50ns using OPLS-AA and TIP4P water
> model. Using Gromacs4.5.3.
> If any other information is required Please let me know.

The specific suitability of a protocol is dependent upon what you believe to be
correct for your system based on precedent and chemical knowledge.  Also be
aware that post-processing of the trajectory to superimpose frames defeats the
purpose of measuring diffusion - if you re-center or superimpose your
structures, it's not diffusing!  Dealing with a dimeric protein may be a
challenge for which g_msd wasn't designed, so I don't know if there's an easy
solution here.  Perhaps someone else can suggest something.

-Justin