[gmx-users] genion error { problem only with PROTEIN-LIGAND complex} - No line with moleculetype 'SOL' found the [ molecules ] section of file ‘topol.top’

Ashima ashima.ashia at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 07:36:17 CET 2013

Dear All,

I need to add 6 CL ions to make the system neutral but when I type the
command line

genion -s ions.tpr -o solv_ions.gro -p topol.top -pname NA -nname CL -nn 6

I am able to add the ion easily to a protein or protein-peptide complex by
using the above command line where I replace the 6 SOL with 6 CL ions.

But when I use the above command line for Protein-Ligand complex

and choose group 15 (SOL), the error is

Fatal error:
No line with moleculetype 'SOL' found the [ molecules ] section of file
‘topol.top’

when I check the ‘topol.top’ file I found there are 24504 SOL molecules
present.

My topology file looks like this

; Include water topology
#include "amber99sb.ff/tip3p.itp"

#ifdef POSRES_WATER
; Position restraint for each water oxygen
[ position_restraints ]
;  i funct       fcx        fcy        fcz
   1    1       1000       1000       1000
#endif

; Include topology for ions
#include "amber99sb.ff/ions.itp"

[ system ]
; Name
Protein

[ molecules ]
; Compound        #mols
Protein_chain_A      1
Ligand               1
SOL                  24504

Please let me know how to rectify the problem

regards,
Ashima