[gmx-users] Re: gmx-users Digest, Vol 106, Issue 52

vivek modi modi.vivek2009 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 11:26:41 CET 2013

> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 23:36:20 +0530
> From: bipin singh <bipinelmat at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Reference structure for PCA.
> To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>
> Hi vivek,
>
> I have few questions related to your query:
>
> During covariance matrix calculation, g_covar by default takes average
> structure of the trajectory as a reference structure then why you are
> giving it average structure of your trajectory (0-100ns) manually.
> Moreover without looking at your commands which you have used, it would be
> difficult for anyone that why are you getting these surprising results.

Thank you Bipin for your reply.
I am doing this because I have found that the result of the analysis
changes with the reference structure. And if my understating is correct
then g_covar by default does not take the complete trajectory structure as
the reference; it takes the average structure of the time window on which
we perform the analysis. Following are the commands which I am using for
g_covar:

1. g_covar  -f  *.xtc  -s  average0-100ns.pdb  -o  -v   -n  -b  70000  -e
 100000  -av  xyz.pdb  -l  xyz.log  -ascii  xyz.dat  -xpm  xyz.xpm  -mwa
 -ref (trajectory average is the reference)

2. g_covar  -f  *.xtc  -s  average70-100ns.pdb  -o  -v   -n  -b  70000  -e
 100000  -av  xyz.pdb  -l  xyz.log  -ascii  xyz.dat  -xpm  xyz.xpm  -mwa
 -ref
(70-100ns average is the reference)

Method 1 gives me low cosines (<.1).
Method 2 gives high cosines (~.5-.6) which I can not understand why. Also
the RMSF which these methods report are different.
Which reference structure is then appropriate and why ?

Thanks and Regards,

-Vivek.