[gmx-users] Aout Restraint on Water oxygen atoms

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Feb 10 20:32:01 CET 2013

On 2/10/13 10:52 AM, vidhya sankar wrote:

> Dear Justin Thank you for your reply,
>
>                                                               I have set the Restraint  Along the Z Axis .  as follows
> #ifdef POSRES_WATER
> ; Position restraint for each water oxygen
>   [ position_restraints ]
>      i  funct       fcx        fcy        fcz
>      1    1         0           0      1000000
> #endif
>
>    When i visualize The .gro file in VMD,
>
> Still The water Molecules Are Leaking in the Hydrophobic core . How to Avoid This?
> May I Decrease The fcz Value to  1000  ?

That certainly doesn't make any sense.  If your stronger restraints aren't
working, why would a weaker restraint work?

If the restraints were being correctly applied, it would be impossible for the
behavior you observe.  I made the original recommendation assuming the membrane
was constructed in the typical way, parallel to the x-y plane.  Is this the case
with your system?  In general, what I was suggesting was simply to restrain the
vertical motion of the water molecules.  That usually means a z restraint.  Are
you using the correct define statement in the .mdp file, and is your #ifdef in
the correct location in the topology?

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080