[gmx-users] Reference structure for PCA.

James Starlight jmsstarlight at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 06:17:54 CET 2013

Dear all!

1) I'd like also to know more about algorithm of the reference
structure choosing.

Commonly I'm using

g_covar -f md.trr -s md.tpr

fur PCA of the md trajectory ( here md.tpr is the protein topology and
md.trr is the protein only trajectory)

and

g_covar -f ensemble.pdb -s ref.pdb

for PCA of the X-ray data set where ensemble is all of my pdb
structures in NMR-like format and reference is the random  structure (
I know that such assumpption is wrong by definition but I dont realy
know how I could calculate average structure for my 'pdb trajectory')

Sometimes that produce 'broken geometry' of my protein when I try to
fit calculated trajectory into NEW reference ( or into the old
reference - md.tpr) by means of g_anaign to produce filtered.xtc

g_anaeig -v eigenvec.trr -f md.trr -s md.tpr  -filt 	filtered.xtc

During visual analysis I noticed that my protein looks like
'compresed'. I dont know why this occures because I have that problem
not in the same case so I suppose that the problem in the initial
ref.structure choosing in g_covar or in the fitting in the g_anaeig.

2) Sometime I want to fit my md trajectory (known as the md_1) into
the eigenvectors calculated from the X-ray data set ( of from another
MD trajectory) for the same protein (known as the md_2). So I'd like
to examine wich conformation of the md_1 correspond to the which
positions in the conformational space of the second trajectory md_2.
What reference structure must be chosing for such pca?

3)I'm looking in the possible tutorial which explains step by step how
I could perform PCA in dihedral space for the averaged-size protein (
800 backbone atoms). As I understood I must routinelly defined each
dihedtal angle in the ndx file to provide this as the input in
g_covar. Has someone some script for automatisation of such process?

Thanks for suggestions,

James