[gmx-users] Re: Reference structure for PCA.

vivek modi modi.vivek2009 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 09:02:57 CET 2013

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 21:32:15 +0000 (WET)
> From: baptista at itqb.unl.pt
> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Reference structure for PCA.
> To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>

Hello Antonio,

Thank you very much for the reply. I have gone through the paper you
mentioned. The central structure seems to be a good choice for the
reference structure.

Regards,

-Vivek.

> Hi Vivek,
>
> There are two distinct steps involved: (1) the fit of your trajectory to a
> reference structure, which corresponds to choose a conformation space; (2)
> the use of the PCA method, which corresponds to find in that space a new
> basis set whose ordered axes sequentially maximize dispersion (hopefully
> capturing the distribution main features with only a few of the new
> coordinates). The two steps just happen to be done by the same program.
> The structure chosen for fitting is related to step 1, while the average
> structure used to compute the covariance matrix is related to step 2 -- as
> already pointed by Tjerk, the two structures are generally not the same.
>
> The aim of the fit is to get rid of the global translation and rotation of
> your protein in the simulation box, trying to place all the sampled
> structures in a single 3D space that reflects "only" the conformational
> differences. But this is necessarily approximate, because the
> superimposition of any pair of structures after the global fit will be
> always worse than you would get by making a pairwise fit of the two. Thus,
> you want to get a final dispersion around the reference as small as
> possible. So, of the two average structures that you tried, you should
> choose the one computed from the last 30 ns (it's not surprising that it
> gives a smaller dispersion, because it refers to the segment you are
> analyzing). Still, using an average structure as a reference is a somewhat
> illusory solution, because that average must itself be obtained after
> fitting the trajectory to some reference... In a study of a small flexible
> peptide (where the choice of reference may have drastic effects), we found
> that a good reference seems to be the "central structure" of your sample,
> defined as the one that, when taken as a reference, leads to the lowest
> overall dispersion (http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp902991u). The article
> discusses the issues pointed above, so you may want to give it a look.
>
> You can also avoid the need of a reference by choosing a different
> conformation space for PCA, a popular alternative being the phi and psi
> dihedrals (look in the manual). Note that this dihedral space is a bit
> different from the more usual one discussed above, each reflecting a
> different kind of conformational proximity (this is also discussed in the
> article). It's up to you to decide which one better suits your problem.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Cheers,
> Antonio
>
> Thank you very much for your reply Tsjerk.
I understand that the two reference structures are different. I had a query
because I found the method is very sensitive to the choice of the reference
structure for fitting. Most of the publications either do not mention the
reference structure. Only in few papers I found initial structure for
fitting. But the method gives different  results if initial structure is
used; or average from complete trajectory;  or average over a certain time
window is used as the structure for reference.
The average was calculated using the following command:

g_rmsf -f *.xtc -s *.tpr -ox average70-100ns.pdb -b 70000 -e 100000

Regards,

-Vivek.